Weight Tracker

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

We did our yearly camping trip to Scott County Park in Iowa. Yes, this seems like a long way to drive (5 hours) to sleep in a tent for 3 nights…but it is well worth it. Thursday began our adventure with packing everything we needed for the trip into our Fusion. And I can tell you, that little car has some room…as exhibited in sample A (last year’s trip). Well there was going to be an sample A, but I can’t find it…hum…I wonder where I left it…Oh well moving on… While traveling the 5 hours, the boys enjoyed a couple of movies and thank you again Mamu and Papa Shu…they truly are a God sent. Though several times we heard the following conversation:

Bear: “we are camping” “I want to go in my tent and camp” “ I go in my tent and sleep on my bed”
Bubba: just staring and nodding, but not any nod…the one of I could care less and please be quite, the movie is on.
Bear: “Are we there yet? I want to go camping” “I want out” “Are we there yet?” “Bubba can’t sleep in my tent, or my bed” “is Bubba going to camp too?”

Friday afternoon, we spent setting up camp and grocery shopping for the weekend. We literally spent a week’s worth of grocery money for 4 partial days of food…but that is part of the fun. We took the boys swimming Saturday morning…which they just loved (though very expensive!!!) The Scott County Park has a pool with a splash pad for younger kids. I have now found a splash pad close to us that is free and plan to take the boys there. Bubba was like a fish to water in the big pool and I am sure will not take long to learn to swim (like his mommy). Bear slowly warmed up to the idea of not having a death grip on me and by the time we were done with the big pool, he was kicking his feet semi doggy paddling.

Saturday night was our every year campfire with family and friends. We always have a blast when everyone comes out to have dinner and spend time together. It never seems like we have enough time to see everyone and the campfire gives us a chance to see several at one time. Though this year we bought everything for s’mores and forgot to do them.  Sorry!

Sunday was spent visiting those family members that have gone before us and explaining to the boys who they were…and it did not take long before they were both asleep. The evening was spent with great friends celebrating a birthday.

Monday, we got to spend some time with the shu side of the family during a cookout. This side of the family always seems to get left out on our trips or we are rushed because it is last minute. But this time we got to spend several hours with them. The boys got to play with several young kids and though bear got picked on he had fun. We headed home after a long day and with two (actually 3) very sleepy boys.

No comments: